Cate Blanchett and Selena Gomez are reportedly joining Michael Fassbender in the next feature film from Brady Corbet, the director behind The Brutalist. The upcoming project does not yet have an official title, and most plot details are still being kept secret. However, early reports suggest that the film will be an ambitious, genre-blending story with much of its action set in the 1970s.
Cate Blanchett Confirms Brady Corbet Collaboration at Cannes
Blanchett confirmed her involvement during a masterclass at the Cannes Film Festival on Sunday, saying that she was preparing to work with Brady Corbet on a new film. Her comments added fresh attention to the project, which was already being closely watched because of Corbet’s rising reputation after The Brutalist. Selena Gomez has also joined the cast, with earlier reports from The InSneider linking her to the film.
Film Expected to Be a Genre-Defying 1970s Story
Although the full story has not been revealed, Corbet has previously described the project as an “X-rated” film that stretches across different time periods. He has said the story moves from the 19th century to the present day, while mainly focusing on the 1970s. The director has also described the movie as difficult to place in one specific genre.
The project is expected to be visually ambitious. Reports indicate that Corbet plans to shoot the film using rare eight-perf 65mm cameras, a format that could give the movie a large-scale cinematic look.
Brady Corbet’s Script Could Be Nearly 200 Pages
The scale of the film also appears significant on paper. Speaking recently at the Storyhouse Screenwriting Festival in Dublin, Corbet said the script is nearly 200 pages long. For comparison, The Brutalist reportedly had a 165-page script and ran for about three and a half hours.

That suggests Corbet’s next film could be another expansive and unconventional work. The movie is being produced by Andrew Morrison under the Kaplan Morrison banner.
Brady Corbet’s Fourth Feature Film
The new project will be Corbet’s fourth feature as a director. He previously directed The Childhood of a Leader in 2015, followed by Vox Lux in 2018 and The Brutalist. His work has often been associated with bold themes, unusual structures and a strong visual identity. With Blanchett, Gomez and Fassbender attached, his next film is likely to attract major attention from critics, festivals and cinema audiences.
Cate Blanchett Adds More Star Power
Cate Blanchett is one of the most acclaimed actors of her generation, with a long career that includes collaborations with major filmmakers such as Martin Scorsese, Guillermo del Toro, David Fincher and Wes Anderson. She won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for playing Katharine Hepburn in Scorsese’s The Aviator in 2004. She later won the Best Actress Oscar for Blue Jasmine in 2013.
Blanchett most recently appeared in Jim Jarmusch’s Father Mother Sister Brother, which won the Golden Lion at the Venice Film Festival.
Selena Gomez Continues Expanding Her Acting Career
Selena Gomez has continued to balance music, acting and business while building a strong screen career. After becoming widely known through Disney Channel’s Wizards of Waverly Place, she went on to appear in films such as Spring Breakers and Emilia Perez.
For Emilia Perez, Gomez shared the Cannes Best Actress Award with Zoe Saldana, Karla Sofia Gascon and Adriana Paz. She also stars in Hulu’s hit series Only Murders in the Building, which earned her an Emmy nomination and has been renewed for a sixth season.
A Major New Project to Watch
With a cast led by Cate Blanchett, Selena Gomez and Michael Fassbender, Brady Corbet’s untitled film is already shaping up as one of the more intriguing upcoming cinema projects. While the title, release date and full plot remain unknown, the combination of a large-scale script, a 1970s setting, rare film cameras and a high-profile cast suggests that Corbet is preparing another ambitious feature after The Brutalist.